6/12/13
I really did have the best intentions. But then I started getting busy.
So, what's been happening to me, you ask?
First and foremost- I went to London on June 6th.
And here's what I've discovered. One day is not nearly enough time to see London. Not nearly enough. So after driving the 2 hours there (oh the traffic! It was terrible! We sat through 5 green lights because the line didn't move at all!) we walked around, and our tour guide pointed out Buckingham Palace, Parliament, the Eye of London, and Westminster Abbey. And you know, it was nice, I took some pictures. Then we went to the Churchill War Rooms. Then I and some of my friends wandered about London, went inside Parliament, and got ice cream. And then we went home. I'm serious. It was crazy short. I felt like I was there for a grand total of five minutes. I discerned from that five minutes that it was a rather large city, with very pretty buildings, a lot of unnecessary red telephone booths, a brownish river, and expensive churches. And on that last note, don't you think churches should be free? Westminster Abbey was 20 pounds, or around 30 dollars. Does Westminster know what I can do with 30 dollars? I could buy eight lattes, fill up a tank of gas, buy a really cute dress (which would last for the next five years), or eat a ton of food. Or I could stand in a church for 30 minutes and stare at some stained glass, and try to take pictures of the stained glass (which would turn out dim and blurry). I mean, ok, it would have been awesome. And I really wanted to see the Poet's Corner (where famous English literary figures are buried- think Dickens, Wordsworth, ect). And I wanted to see the World War One tomb of the Unknown Warrior, You are probably wondering why I didn't just get over it, and pay the thirty dollars. Well, actually, it was closed. I would have gone in. Yes, before I realized that it was closed, I considered trying to convince them that I was seventeen to get an eight pound ticket. But I knew this was wrong. Even though it would have totally worked. It would have been wrong. I was going to go in and pay my 20 pounds and go see the Abbey. But And it was closed.
But Parliament was both open and free. So the group of us, mostly Hillsdale people, went over their and watched a House of Commons debate. The debate didn't seemed to be an issue of great national importance. This I know for two reasons.
1) There were about ten people in the room. Seven of them were more focused on their phones and ipads more than on the speaker. One member might have been asleep, or blinking for quite a long time.
2) The speaker in question was getting quite riled up about the apparent "bumblebee crisis" and the need for government action to save the bumblebees, who apparently are getting sick and dying from farmers' pesticides. There were a lot of statistics going on, and he seemed to take the whole insect destruction thing as an affront to his personal honor. One thing that struck me was his call for more government scientists to research this problem, as right now only seven scientists were devoted to the problem. I guess I don't know a lot about science, but that really seems like plenty to solve this one problem.
I just don't even know.
No comments:
Post a Comment