Friday, May 17, 2013

DAY FOUR!

5/17/13
    Not the most eventful day yesterday to be honest, but today is off to a good start. Yesterday, I had a couple more orientation type events, such as touring New College, learning about the British way of life, and how to use the beautiful, huge, disturbingly confusing library. Since the 16th century, Oxford's received a copy of every book ever printed in the English language. (And any different editions or reprints of the the same books). This puts it at about 12 million books in various libraries disconnected throughout campus, though the majority of them are in underground vaults beneath the city of Oxford. Absolutely insane. Also you have to take an oath not to start any flame in the library or to take out any books (its a non-lending library). This oath is the result of the founder, Bodleian, who was very concerned about the library becoming damaged or lost. This meant the poor little Oxford scholars up till the advent of electricity had no heat (no flames, remember), and finished their reading when it got dark (no candles either). I'm convinced they never got around to installing heat- it was absolutely freezing in there this morning! Right now I'm enjoying a cup of coffee and eating my packed lunch at a cafe to defrost. Then I'm going back. It's been explained to me like a million times, but I wasn't sure how exactly to put books on hold before I left (you can't check anything out, so you are suppose to hold the books with the library, however, when I asked, I think the librarian thought I was crazy). Later today I plan on ambushing the track club, and get some information there. I'll take a picture of the track for the running fans :) I also think I might go listen to the famous New College Choir. And then I'll work on homework, and go to bed. (I'll probably also eat dinner somewhere in there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment